Sunday, June 5, 2022

Chicken Marsala

 Chicken Marsala

(4 servings)


I cannot begin to rave about this incredible dish enough! It is by far my absolute favorite and nothing I've ever had to consume in life comes close to it's indulgence. I serve mine as pictured above, with mashed potatoes and asparagus. I air fry my asparagus after tossing it in mushroom olive oil, salt and pepper. My go-to instant pot mashed potatoes can be found in my cooking blog and taste even better with some leftover mushroom gravy added on top. In Italy, this dish is typically served over pasta, such as egg noodles. My largest decree is do not skimp on the Marsala wine. I've heard of various people substituting chicken broth instead. I've tried that version myself and it definitely omits the flavor intended.

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups dry Marsala wine (in store, it's with oils)
1 1/4 cups chicken broth
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved and pounded to even thickness (I've bought thin before to save time)
salt and pepper
1/3 cup all purpose flour
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp olive oil
8oz sliced white mushrooms
1 tbsp garlic cloves (3 cloves)
1 tsp oregano
1 1/2 tsp cornstarch whisked with 1 tbsp chicken broth or water (in small bowl)
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp parsley

Directions:
1. Add Marsala wine and chicken broth to a medium saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and allow to gently boil until reduced to 1 cup (about 15 minutes). 
2. Meanwhile, season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper, then dredge in flour.     
3. Melt 1 tbsp butter with 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and let sear until cooked through, turning one time halfway through (about 10-12 minutes).
4. Transfer chicken to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm. 
5. In same skillet, melt remaining 1 tbsp butter with 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms and stir to coat. 
6. Saute mushrooms, just stirring occasionally until slightly until shrunk and golden brown, about 8 minutes. Add garlic during last 1 minute of sauteing.
7. Remove pan from heat then pour in Marsala reduction, thyme and oregano. 
8. Return to heat, bring to a simmer then stir in cornstarch chicken broth mixture. Continue stirring until thickened. 
9. Turn off heat and stir in heavy cream. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add chicken breasts to pan and ladle sauce on top. Sprinkle parsley over top and serve immediately. 


No comments:

Post a Comment