Thursday, May 29, 2014

Turkey Stroganoff....

I have come to the realization that cooking with ground turkey tops cooking with ground beef any given day. The taste is so much more pleasant and it can be much more healthier than cow meat. And I find that it tastes nothing like the turkey we have over the holidays (I'm typically not a fan). I've already used it create some pretty fabulous meals, most of which my (now as of this past Saturday) three year old son absolutely LOVES and tells me over and over how "it's real good, momma!". All I can say is I know I've done well when my toddler loves what I cook.

Turkey Stroganoff

2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
4 oz mushrooms, sliced
1.5 lbs ground turkey
3/4 cup beef broth
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 lb egg noodles
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup sour cream
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
 
   Special Seasoning:
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2.5 tsp seasoned salt
1/4 tsp ground white pepper
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
 
1.In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes, or until soft. Add the turkey, breaking it up with a spoon, and cook until browned. Add the special seasoning ingredients and stir to thoroughly combine. Stir in the broth, milk and mustard. Bring to a boil over high heat then reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes, until nicely thickened.
 
2. While the sauce is simmering, cook the egg noodles in a large pot of salted boiling water for 8-9 minutes, or until al dente. Drain, return noodles to the pan, and toss with the butter so the noodles won’t stick together. Cover loosely to keep warm.
 
3. Stir the sour cream into the sauce and heat through. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add to the warm buttered egg noodles and toss to coat. Served garnished with parsley.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment